Blue #10- Atlanta Capitol
“Atlanta became the temporary capital in 1867 and the permanent capital in 1877.”
When the capital of Georgia was moved from Milledgeville to Atlanta, it occupied two temporary buildings until in September 1883 lawmakers appropriated $1 million for the construction of a new capital. The legislature stipulated that the capital "shall be built of granite rock and marble, as far as practicable, and that all the materials used in the construction of said building shall be those found and procured within the State of Georgia; provided, the same can be procured . . . as cheaply as other materials of like quality in other localities." Upon construction, it was determined that Indiana limestone would be the primary building material, the use of only Georgia marble and granite being impractical and too expensive. The cornerstone, all interior floors and steps, and many walls of the capitol were constructed of Georgia marble. Along the sides of the walls on the second floor is pink-hued Etowah marble. Georgia granite was used for the foundation of the building. Construction of the Classic Renaissance style structure was completed on March 20, 1889. At the time of its construction, Georgia's capital was the tallest building in Atlanta, rising just over 272 feet from the ground floor. The outer dimensions of the dome are estimated to be approximately 75 feet in diameter. Above this dome is the observation area, topped by a smaller cupola, upon which a statue stands. The statue of a woman with a torch in one hand and a sword in the other.was referred to as the "Goddess of Liberty" in early accounts, although today she is known as "Miss Freedom." The original tin-covered dome was replaced by a gilding of Georgia gold from Dahlonega in 1958.
Q: What's the difference between the two manufacturers Wedgwood and Belleek?
A: The Plates were produced by Wedgwood in England from 1933 until 2008 at which time Wedgwood moved production to Indonesia. In 2012, Wedgwood announced they would no longer be producing Georgia Plates. Belleek Pottery immediately took over production and continues today.